Seller: alacena-antiguedades (7) 100%, Location: Vero Beach, Florida, Ships to: US, Item: 152314251103 Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Made of buff terracotta, decorating the bottom of this bichrome, burnished Chupícuaro bowl is an intriguing negative resist repeating decoration of single undulating lines separated by pairs of straight, leaning lines. The bowl’s rim is decorated inside and out with a red slip band. The inside band measures ¾” wide while the outside is ½” wide. The ceramic style is named after the village of Chupícuaro in the western Mexican state of Guanajuato where it was found. Situated on the Lerma River the culture was active from about 400 BCE to 200CE. Luckily excavations of the site were conducted in 1946-7 revealing much of what we know today. In 1949 the Solís Dam was constructed. This led to the flooding of the area which today remains under a lake. The Chupícuaro are renowned for an exceptionally sophisticated ceramic tradition featuring everyday food-service vessels of notable aesthetic appeal. Chupícuaro ceramics elevate objects intended for daily use into highly sophisticated artistic achievements. Chupícuaro ceramics were formed without the use of a potting wheel. Their mastery of this hand-building skill can be seen in the symmetry and form of this vessel. Dimension: 7 ¼” wide, 2 ½” high. Condition: There is one, imperceptible 2” long hairline stress crack and some pigment loss. It is otherwise in original condition, not restored. Provenance: This artifact was obtained from the estate of the late Willis Pratt, a career academic at the University of Texas in Austin. Dr. Pratt owned a residence in Guanajuato and frequently visited Central Mexico between the mid 1930s and mid 1960s. During this period he amassed a fine collection of many Pre-Columbian artifacts which he kept and displayed in his home in Austin. Guaranteed authentic.