Seller: stocklobster (12,502) 100%, Location: Cold Spring, New York, Ships to: Worldwide, Item: 112530208977 Allentown Bridge CompanyStock Certificate The Lehigh Valley Transit Company organized the Allentown Bridge Company in 1911 for the sole purpose of building the Eighth Street Bridge. The bridge was designed by the engineering firm of B.H. Davis and built by McArthur Brothers of New York City. Costing in excess of $500,000, construction of the bridge required 29,500 cubic yards of concrete and 1,100,000 pounds of metal reinforcing rods. The structure operated as a toll bridge from its November 17, 1913 opening until the 1950s, at which time the toll was five cents for an automobile. The Liberty Bell Line, Lehigh Valley Transit's electric street car line that went to Quakertown, Sellersville, Lansdale, Norristown and Philadelphia ran across the bridge until that interurban service made its last run on the evening of September 6, 1951. On the final return trip from Norristown, in the early morning hours of September 7, car #1006 did not cross the bridge again but went directly to Fairview carbarn, located some distance southwest of the bridge. All rail operations across the bridge ended when the company ceased street trolley service in 1953. The concrete standards that once supported the trolley wire are still standing on the bridge to this day. The Eighth Street Bridge was formally renamed the Albertus L. Meyers Bridge in 1974. Meyers was a well-known conductor of the Allentown Band and a cornet player in the band of John Philip Sousa. As a boy, Meyers played in the Allentown Band at the opening of this bridge that now bears his name. The Albertus L. Meyers Bridge was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1988. All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. You will receive the exact certificate pictured.