1905 Eapg Cambridge Glass ½ Gal. Ewer Near Cut Marjorie Line Rogers Silverplate

Sold $33.00 3 Bids, Click to see shipping cost, 14-Day Returns, eBay Money Back Guarantee

Seller: ponyboynol (11,987) 99.7%, Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, Ships to: Worldwide, Item: 223666390056 1905 EAPG CAMBRIDGE GLASS ½ GAL. EWER NEAR CUT MARJORIE LINE ROGERS SILVERPLATE //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ THIS MONTH, WE ARE PLEASED TO OFFER MANY FINE ANTIQUE AND COLLECTIBLE ARTIFACTS AND RARITIES FROM MISSISSIPPI AND LOUISIANA ESTATES AND PRIVATE COLLECTIONS PLEASE CHECK OUR OTHER EBAY LISTINGS FOR MORE EXAMPLES OF EARLY ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ DESCRIPTION FROM A PROMINENT LOUISIANA ESTATE, THIS OUTSTANDING PITCHER OR EWER IS FOUND WITH AND WITHOUT THE SILVER PLATE TRIM TOP. STANDING 9-3/4" TALL TO THE LIP, MEASURING 6-1/4" DIAMETER TO THE BASE, TAPERED TO A TOP OPENING OF 4" NOT INCLUDING THE FLANGE SILVERPLATE RIM. WEIGHING A SUBSTANTIAL -4- POUNDS -12- OUNCES. AN EARLY AMERICAN PRESSED GLASS EXAMPLE EXHIBITING THE TRAITS OF CUT GLASS, MANUFACTURED BY CAMBRIDGE GLASS, AN EXAMPLE OF THE NEARCUT MARJORIE PATTERN LINE. BELOW THE POINT WHERE THE LOWER HANDLE CONNECTS TO THE BODY, DIMINUTIVE BAS-RELIEF LETTERING IS CAST, READING ~ NEAR CUT INCISED TO THE INTERIOR STEP RIM OF THE SILVERPLATE LIP, STYLIZED LETTERING READS ~ 1881 ROGERS ~ 5500 THE "1881 ROGERS" LETTERING IS FLANKED BY HALLMARKS WITH THE LETTER "R" WITHIN A LAUREL WREATH DECORATION. CONDITION REPORT > SOME PLATING LOSS, SCRATCHES, BLEMISHES, TARNISH AND OTHER ELEMENTS SPECIFIC TO THE SILVERPLATE LIP ~ AS FOR THE GLASS PITCHER, PERHAPS TYPICAL AND MINOR ELEMENTS RELATIVE TO AGE, HANDLING AND MATERIAL, HOWEVER NO DAMAGE OR OVERT ISSUES, AS NOTED ~ OVERALL GOOD, VINTAGE CONDITION, BEST NOTED BY EXAMINING THE IMAGES OFFERED. HISTORY ~ CAMBRIDGE GLASS COMPANY Cambridge Glass was a manufacturer of glassware formed in 1873 in Cambridge, Ohio. The company produced a range of colored glassware in the 1920s, initially with opaque shades, but moving on to transparent shades by the end of the decade. Unable to compete with mass-produced glassware, the company closed briefly in 1954, but was reopened in 1955. However, financial difficulties persisted, and, after several ownership changes, the factory closed for good in 1958. Imperial Glass Company purchased the Cambridge Glass molds two years later, and would use them for another three decades until that company went bankrupt in 1984. The Cambridge Glass Company was chartered in 1873 by a group of Cambridge, Ohio businessmen. But it was not until 1899, when the site was purchased by the newly formed National Glass Company, that funds became available to start the construction of this new glass factory. In 1901, The Cambridge Glass Company was organized by Myron Case, Casey Morris, Addison Thompson, Andy Herron and Fred Rosemond, who were owners of the National Glass Company of Pennsylvania. During construction of the plant, Arthur J. Bennett, a native of England, was hired to manage this new factory. Having experience in the china and glass trades, Mr. Bennett proved to be an excellent choice for the position. He was funded to come to America by his father who was a plumber in England. (Nicole Orme) The first piece of glass, a three pint pitcher, was produced in May 1902. A variety of heavy pressed patterns were produced during the next five years. Many of the patterns were of Mr. Bennett's own design. Sometime around 1903-1904 the company's first trademark came into being, the words "Near Cut" pressed into the glass. Cambridge Glass soon became known worldwide for quality in both "crystal and colors, pressed and blown." In 1907, the National Glass Company experienced financial problems that ended in receivership for the company. By supplementing his life savings with local bank financing, Mr. Bennett was able to raise the necessary $500,000 to purchase the Cambridge Glass Company in its entirety. The company continued to prosper under his ownership, and in 1910 was expanded to include an additional plant at nearby Byesville, Ohio - under the name of The Byesville Glass and Lamp Co. Many of the deep plate etched patterns were introduced during this time period, some of which were Marjorie and Betty, named after members of Mr. Bennett's family. Through these early years, the company operated its own coal mines and consumed 50 tons daily producing raw gas to fire its melting pots. It also used natural gas produced from its own wells. The abundant supply of natural resources had been one of the main reasons for locating this factory in Ohio. During 1916, things slowed down quite a bit, and in 1917 it was decided to close the factory in Byesville and transfer those operations back to the Cambridge plant. The 1920s were years of expansion and heralded a new trademark - the letter "C" enclosed within a triangle. Mr. Bennett decided to introduce a variety of opaque colored items into their line. With as many as 700 employees working three shifts a day, very strong lines of colored ware and complete dinner services were added to the production from the 56 pots of glass being used. Figural shapes became popular in the occasional pieces. The company was also producing a complete line of pharmaceutical items. It was said, "If it will sell, Cambridge will produce it." The 1930s were perhaps the most prolific years of Cambridge development, with the new colors ~ Carmen, Royal Blue, Crown Tuscan and Heatherbloom, and new patterns, the #3400 line, Caprice line, Statuesque stem line, Rose Point etching, being developed. During the peak of the Cambridge Glass Company, Mr. Bennett served as president of the company, his son-in-law, Wilber L. Orme was vice president; Mrs. Bennett as director; William C. McCartney as secretary; G. Roy Boyd as treasurer and K.C. Kelley as factory superintendent. In July 1939, Mr. Bennett sold the controlling interest of the company to his son-in-law, Wilber L. Orme, who continued to develop designs and colors. However, Mr. Bennett continued as president until his death in February 1940. In 1950, the Cambridge Square pattern won top honors across the United States for its modern design. In the early 1950s the demand for fine handmade glassware began to decrease, and the competition of foreign and machine-made glass began taking its toll. In 1954, Mr. Orme decided to close the plant, ending one of the best and most prosperous glass companies the world has ever known. Color played a significant role in the success of Cambridge Glass Co. They produced opaque glass and then moved onto transparent colors. The opaque shades were produced in early 1920s with colors such as helio, jade, primrose, azurite and ebony. In the latter of the 1920s there was a shift to transparent colors in light colors. In the 1930s, the company moved to darker colors such as forest, amethyst and royal blue. Towards the end of the 1930s, most of the lines made were done in crystal. One of the darker colors they started to use was the amethyst which they invented and patented. Shortly after closing in 1954, the company was sold to a firm headed by Sidney Albert of Akron, Ohio. The plant reopened in March 1955. Sales were very poor, and in 1956 Morrison Industries Ltd. of Boston, Massachusetts, acquired possession. Sales continued to be slow and with management problems. The company closed its doors for the final time in 1958. In November 1960, Imperial Glass Company of Bellaire, Ohio, acquired the Cambridge molds and equipment. 1984 saw Imperial forced into bankruptcy. At this time the National Cambridge Collectors purchased many of the molds, all of the etching/decorating plates and other assets of Cambridge Glass from Imperial. These items are now located on the museum grounds. The N.C.C., due to a lack of funds and miscommunication, could not purchase all of the molds. Some are now owned by other glass companies. The Cambridge Glass factory building was demolished in 1989 when the owners decided the factory had deteriorated beyond repair. All the buildings were razed. HISTORY OF SILVERSMITH WM. ROGERS Wm. Rogers (William Rogers), 1801 - 1873, was a master American silversmith and a pioneer in the silverplate industry. It can be confusing to identify silver marked Wm. Rogers because his prestigious name was appropriated by many companies both in his lifetime and for generations after. At least six interrelated lines of silverplate have been marked Wm. Rogers. 1. The mark 1865 Wm. Rogers was used by Rogers himself in 1865. 2. The mark Wm. Rogers surrounded by a star and eagle was used by William Rogers between 1825 to 1841 on his coin silver spoons. From 1878 to 1893, after the death of William Sr., it was used by Simpson, Hall, Miller and Company after they signed an agreement with Wm. Rogers Jr. This mark was used again off and on from the late 1800s until at least 1939 by the International Silver Co. 3. The mark Wm. Rogers Mfg Co was used after 1865 by William and his son William Jr. and later by the International Silver Company. 4. The mark Wm. Rogers and Son followed by a star was used from around 1856-1861. 5. The mark Wm. Rogers and Son was used by William Sr. and Jr. from 1861 to 1871 and later by the International Silver Company. 6. The mark Wm. A. Rogers was used as early as 1897. It became part of Oneida silver around 1929, and Oneida employed the Wm. A. Rogers mark as late as 1978. Popular Victorian patterns from Wm. Rogers and Son include Alhambra (1907), Beauty (1909), Orange Blossom (1910), and Rose (1909). Popular patterns from Wm. Rogers Mfg include Isabella (1913), Revelation (1938), and Jubilee (1953). Popular patterns from Wm. A. Rogers include Glenrose (1908), Grenoble (1906), Carnation (1908) and La Concorde (1910). //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ PLEASE USE THE EBAY "CONTACT SELLER" FUNCTION TO CONTACT US AND RESOLVE ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING THIS ITEM WILL BE SHIPPED VIA FEDEX GROUND or FEDEX HOME DELIVERY, ONLY TO DOMESTIC ADDRESSES INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS ITEM < WE NEVER CHARGE A HANDLING FEE & ALWAYS COMBINE SHIPPING > Brand: CAMBRIDGE GLASS, Object Type: Carafe/Pitcher

PicClick Insights PicClick Exclusive
  •  Popularity - 67 views, 2.0 views per day, 34 days on eBay. High amount of views. 1 sold, 0 available. Good amount of bids.
  •  Price -
  •  Seller - 11,987+ items sold. 0.3% negative feedback. Great seller with very good positive feedback and over 50 ratings.
Similar Items