Here is a fine original, vintage set of Windold Reiss Indian Portrait prints from calendars produced by the Great Northern Railways. These were cut from the monthly calendar and were widely collected. This set was stored by a relative who had worked for the railways and had a subscription to the calendars.
Winold Reiss (1886-1953) was a uniquely gifted artist and designer who emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1913. Today his vast artistic legacy is enjoying renewed recognition, and deservedly so. Probably best known as a portraitist, Reiss was a pioneer of modernism and well known for his brilliant work in graphic and interior design.
Please click to see the Winold Reiss website at: http://www.winold-reiss.org/life/index.htm
There is a total of 53 prints, and 2 info prints. Several have duplicate and triplicates as noted in the list. Each print is shown in its year group and a few at random are shown larger. If you are interested in seeing any of the small images at a larger size, or an individual title name, please ask.
The 2 information pages explain the purpose of the project, the railroad, and most important to me, the artist, Winold Reiss, who portrayed the essence of these people in the highest visual sense.
Circa: 1928, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934?
Size: Image is 7 1/2" x 10". Border width varies as shown.
Condition: Most are excellent, with no creasing, dings, or bends. The color is brilliant and the boards smooth. Some have marking in pencil or pen, where they had been titled on the front or dated on the back.
All portraits by Winold Reiss unless otherwise noted.
1928 Santa Fe Railroad Calendar
- May - Chief Two Guns White Calf
- June - Scaping Woman, Blackfeet Tribe
- Aug - Shot on Both Sides, Chief of the Blood Tribe
1930 Santa Fe Railroad Calendar
- Jan - Chief Two Guns White Calf
- Feb - Long Time Pipe Woman
- Mar - Mike Short Man
- Apr - Good Striker
- May - Turtle and Setting Mountains
- July - Plume
- Aug - James White Calf
- Sept - Lazy Boy-Medicine Man,
- Oct - Cut Nose Woman (2 ea)
- Nov - Homegun
- Dec - White Dog
1931 Santa Fe Railroad Calendar
- Jan - Alex Eagle Plume
- Feb - Many Mules
- Mar - Double Steele and Two Cutter
- Apr - Chief Eagle Calf (2 ea)
- May - Night Shoots
- Jun - Mrs. Devine (2 ea)
- July - Yellow Head (3 ea)
- Aug - Tough Bread (2 ea)
- Sept - Manyhorses Little Rosebush and Baby (2 ea.)
- Oct - Lazy Boy
- Nov - Big Wolf (3 ea)
- Dec - Dog Taking Gun
1932 Santa Fe Railroad Calendar
- Jan - Mameia & Spopera
- Feb - Arrow Top
- Mar - Jim Blood
- Apr - Buffalo Body
- May - Morning Star
- Jun - Heavy Breast
- July - Big Face Chief
- Aug - Clears Up
- Sept - Fish Wolf Robe
- Oct - Not-Real Bear-Woman
- Nov - Morning Gun
- Dec - Only Child
- Night Shoots Blackfeet Brave (by W. Landgon Kihn)
- Striped Wolf, Kainah Tribe of Blackfeet
- Mike Oka, Blood Indian Brave
- Blackfeet Mother (by W. Langdon Kihn)
- Mountain Chief, Blackfeet Brave (by W. Landgon Kihn)
- Chief Short Man, Blackfeet Warrior
- About the subjects, artist, Glacier Park, and the Great Northern Railroad
- Chief Little Dog - information sheet
Please email us with any questions regarding this item. We will be happy to give whatever additional info we can. We have more collectibles!
See our other items!