This is a "Multiple Variation" style listing. Use the "Seed Qty" drop-down menu, above, to select quantity/weight.
20 Seeds for $2.00
60 Seeds for $4.00
120 Seeds for $6.00
240 Seeds for $9.00
480 Seeds for $16.00
1 Ounce for $32.00 (1,620 Seeds)
Japanese Black Pine, Pinus thunbergiana, Tree Seeds
Evergreen, Bonsai, Specimen Tree, Exfoliating Bark, Hardy, Easy to Grow, Cold, Drought, Heat and Salt Tolerant
Japanese Black Pine is noted for its whitish terminal buds that provide interesting contrast with its slightly twisted, dark green foliage. In optimum growing conditions, this tree will grow in a generally conical form to 100 feet tall, spreading somewhat irregularly with age. In cultivation, it is more often seen at 20 to 60 feet tall. Evergreen needles to 4.5 inches long in bundles of two are an attractive dark green. Young foliage candles are upright and cones are brown to 2.5 inches long. As the tree ages, bark turns dark purplish-gray and fissures into plates. Although trees may or may not have a central leader, prune to develop one if the tree will be grown to a large size. Branches are held horizontally in a picturesque silhouette and sometimes can outgrow the central leader forming an attractive multi stemmed specimen tree. It is probably best used in this way.
Other Names: Japanese Black Pine, Pinus thunbergii, Thunberg Pine
Zone: 4 to 8
Growth Rate: Medium
Plant Type: Needled evergreen conifer Tree
Native Range: Coastal Japan and South Korea
Height: 20 to 60 feet
Spread: 12 to 20 feet
Shape: Generally conical, irregular habit
Bloom Time: Early Spring
Flower/Fruit: Monoecious; males reddish-yellow, in clusters near branch tips appearing in early spring; females reddish and egg-shaped. Woody egg-shaped cone, 2 to 3 inches long, 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, light brown in color.
Sun: Full Sun
Fall Color: Evergreen
Drought Tolerance: High
Site Requirements /Soil Tolerances: Tolerates a range of soil types but prefers well drained soil. Tolerates some light afternoon shade and some drought. Salt tolerant.
Culture: needs little pruning to develop a strong structure
Uses: Specimen pine, interesting multi-trunked growth habit, great addition to a Japanese garden. Also used for bonsai. Extremely salt tolerant, good for seaside planting and holding beach sand in place. Good for screening.
Sowing Pinus thunbergiana Seeds:
Scarification, Cold Stratification and moisture enhance germination.
Scarify: Soak in water 24 Hours
Stratify: Cold 30 days, 40 Degrees F in a Moist Medium.
Germination: Sow 1/8” Deep
For more information about seed pretreatment and growing trees and shrubs from seed, please try the following link:
- Seeds Packets are labeled with seed name and sowing details.
- Seeds have not been pretreated unless specified in the listing.
- Due to the many factors involved in successful germination, Seller cannot be responsible for buyers growing methods or mistakes.
- I have provided what I believe to be a good overview on this page (which you are free to print for further reference), however, it is still recommended to check specialist literature for more details and practices specific to your climate and soil conditions to avoid mistakes in the germination and growing process.
U.S. Shipping and Handling is $2.25 for the first item and $0.50 for each additional item sent via USPS First Class Mail.
International Shipping and Handling is $3.99 and $0.50 for each additional item sent via USPS First Class International Mail.
Deadline to qualify for 1 day shipping:
Payments must be received by 3:00 pm Pacific Time, Monday-Thursday in order to process and ship by the next business day. Weekends and U.S. Holidays CAN NOT apply for 1 day shipping.
- Purchases will ship within 1 business day after receiving cleared payment. This does not include weekends or holidays when post offices are closed.
- To qualify for combined shipping, items must be purchased within 7 days AND paid for together on a single invoice. When you have finished shopping, please request a combined invoice before paying.
- Shipping and handling charges cover: shipping, packaging, handling and insurance. This Does Not cover invalid shipping addresses, customs regulations or Tariffs.
- USPS Priority Flat Rate is available for an additional fee upon request. USPS Priority Flat Rate does not provide a tracking number for International shipments.
- Please check your invoice BEFORE PAYING. If there is a problem with the amount due please message me so I can correct the problem for you. Buyer assumes responsibility once payment has been made.
- I accept PayPal only. Payment is due within seven (7) days of purchase.
- If you do not have a PayPal account please message me for alternative payment methods before purchasing.
- Please notify me if you are not able to send your payment by its due date. Unless prior arrangements have been made, any payments not received by its due date will be turned over to the EBay resolution center. Please note: If you choose to let it go unpaid then you could get an unpaid strike(s), which will cause you to be blocked by sellers.
The following is EBay procedure for cancellation:
1. You request a cancellation to me.
2. I request this cancellation in EBay.
3. You confirm this cancellation in EBay.
4. Upon completion of all these steps your purchase will go away with no penalties. Please note: This needs to be done for each item individually and before its due date.
It is the buyer’s responsibility to know their countries customs laws.
- Plant and plant materials including seeds may be restricted from importing to your country. Please check with your customs agency and or post office before purchasing. Upon purchasing this item Buyer accepts the risk of item being confiscated and/or destroyed by customs and Seller will not be held liable for this.
- If you are on my exclusion list it is because: “Plant and plant materials including seeds” are restricted from importing to your country, it is enforced by your country and there is a high rate of customs checking for this.
- Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to buying.
- Tracking is not available for International items. International mail varies from 10 to 30 business days (postal working days) and some countries require certain International items to be picked up at your post office. Upon processing your order, you will be sent a customs number, your shipping date and your shipping address, which you will need in order to retrieve it from your post office if you are required to do so. If these are not picked up in a reasonable time they may be returned or discarded.
- All mail items are subject to inspection by customs when crossing into another country. If stopped for inspection this will cause serious delays in receiving your item(s). You may or may not be notified of this. This may require you to pick up your package from your post office.
Replacements and Refunds:
- If there is any problem with your order, please notify me via Ebay message only. This will have your Ebay user name and it is the only valid form of communication that EBay accepts.
- This is the date you paid if different from the date you purchased.
- This is required in order to help expedite any issues you are having with your purchase.
- All items are shipped in a padded envelope. If any items are delivered damaged please notify me with a short description of the damage.
- Once confirmed, a replacement for the damaged item(s) will be sent on the next shipping day.
- If item is out of stock, you will be offered to choose from a substitute replacement or refund including shipping for that item.
In order to determine if your package is lost the following are required:
- Confirmation of the correct shipping address. It is the buyer's responsibility to provide a valid shipping address. Seller is NOT responsible for invalid shipping addresses.
- A sufficient amount of time has passed from the date shipped to allow for any package that took the scenic route to get to their destination. The postal service is not perfect and packages may sometimes take a wrong turn but will usually find their way to their destination.
a. U.S.: Expect 2 to 15 business days (up to 3 weeks).
b. International: Expect 10 to 30 business days (up to 5 weeks).
- International Orders: Confirmation that you have contacted your post office with your customs number as described above and what or if your post office found anything.
- Once purchase has been determined lost you will be a offered a choice of the following:
a. To send replacement item(s) if available.
b. To send a substitution if out of stock.
c. Full refund including shipping fees.
d. Please note: There is no option for a refund if a replacement or substitution has been chosen and shipped.
Return items: Refund will be given if item is returned within 14 days and as it was received.
Upon receiving your item(s) please inspect your purchase right away. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase:
1. Please notify me with a description of the problem.
2. You will be authorized to return item as it was received.
3. Once item has been received by seller, a refund will be promptly given for the purchase price. This does not include shipping and handling unless prior approval has been given.