They came from Pharmacies such as:
J.B. Brown - in Hannibal, Missouri
- which research shows to have been in business
from at least 1858 to 1860 (and probably longer).
J.A. McDonald in Reedsville, Pennsylvania.
C.T. Ladd and Oliver & Son's Drug Store in Fryeburg, Main.
H.P. Mead Pharmacists in Morrisville, New York -
Research shows that it was known as H.P. Mead's from the
Civil War years until 1873 when H.E. Chapin joined as partner.
It was then known as Read & Chapin's until Chapin retired in 1884.
The labels included are:
Tincture of __ label
Dr. Lochman's With-Hazel Liniment label
Silver Spray Sewing Machine Oil
Curtis Carmelite Cordial
Oliver & Son Druggists label
Spirit Camphor label
Denatured Alcohol - POISON
Spt. of Turpentine
Large S.T. Oliver & Son Druggists label
Cylanide Potassium - POISON
Rectified Oil of Turpentine
Syrup of Ipecac
Pure Extract Vanilla
(Note: From the 18th century until the early 20th century Ipecac and Opium were used to produce Dover's Powder, which was reportedly used in syrup form. Even today - Ipecac Syrup is used in many Countries to induce vomiting.)
Some are generic & on light weight paper - and about half do not have adhesive gum on the back. A few have some antique toning & aging, and minor print or edge faults. The large Witch Hazel label measures approx. 6 inches by 3 1/4 inches. The small Oliver & Son label measures 2 3/8 inches by 5/16 inch. The Cyanide - POISON label measure 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches. Overall, they are in Excellent Unused Condition.